Search This Blog

Thursday 28 February 2013

It all started at The Network...

So here I am, in mid production of possibly one of the best shows of 2013, being trained by a comic genius in the art of sitcom writing and gaining hands on experience of TV show development and production. And it all started at The Network.




When the Network opportunity appeared on my laptop screen, all I could think was fantastic opportunity, although another application to fill out, and probably more rejection. 

But, you've got to be in it to win it. I gave the application my best shot, and...I was put on the waiting list. But - amazingly - someone dropped out and in August I was on the train on my way to Edinburgh.

The Network programme was incredible, workshops, talks and CV clinics. As a budding screenwriter my favourite moments were attending an interview with Charlie Brooker, participating in a drama workshop with BBC Writers Room and working with the cast and crew of Waterloo Road.


All of these opportunities left me inspired to get stuck into the industry.  But how?  Networking, of course!





Like most of us, I enjoy meeting new people and good conversation, and in essence that's what networking is, the only difference is that these conversations might be with people in the industry that could potentially give you (or at least direct you towards someone who can give you) a job.



So that's what I did - I met all sorts of people on my networking journey - a lot of lawyers, but also producers and execs. I was happily batted from one person to another person better able to help me, on several occasions, until I landed in front of a development exec at Kudos. 


He said he'd enquire about getting me in for work experience, and he actually did!

Within a month I was being a runner at Kudos for a week. Before I said goodbye I built those all important relationships. 
Consequently I was invited to do some more work experience with Kudos' sister company Brown Eyed Boy. 

Now this is the part where the magic happens! On my first day, literally minutes after I'd arrived, the position of writer's assistant on Brown Eyed Boy's new sitcom for ITV: Vicious, was being discussed in the office. It was then or never. I bit the bullet and asked the M.D. Gary Reich if he would consider interviewing me, and to my delight he said 'yes'. The interview went wonderfully - Gary really took an interest in me after witnessing my work ethic throughout the work experience period, he was impressed by my CV and we both agreed that this was the perfect position for me right now as an aspiring TV writer! He had also, coincidentally, been on the equivalent GEITF talent scheme when he was just starting out too.


Cherish on set of the recording of Vicious

So, I got the job: working as writer's assistant to Gary Janetti, writer and producer of Family Guy and executive producer of Will and Grace. What a first gig in TV! It was also a plus that the actors starring in the show are none other than legends Ian Mckellen, Derek Jacobi and Frances de la Tour! 

So here I am, in mid production of possibly one of the best shows of 2013, being trained by a comic genius in the art of sitcom writing and gaining hands on experience of TV show development and production. And it all started at The Network!  

My advice to anyone, eager to get into the industry is dare! 



Dare to apply, dare to keep trying, dare to say hello, dare to ask for opportunities. The worst anyone can say is 'no'. God bless you on your journey.
 Cherish : )


Cherish invited The Network team along to watch the  recording...VIPs!

You can read more of alumni's success stories on our website here 



Applications for The Network are open until 21 April 2013, please go to our website for more info and to apply

No comments:

Post a Comment